As part of the “Summer Gift” series (cool things that don’t cost a penny), here’s the next one! BTW - you can see earlier ones here:
- Summer Gift Part 1 – Project Mercury Beta Open!
- CLOSED- Summer Gift Part 2 – 10 VNXe arrays free to play with for volunteers!
- Summer Gift Part 3 – XtremIO vCOPS integration
- Summer Gift Part 4 – Backup Automation APIs
- Summer Gift Part 5 – vLab Updates
This new one is about Virtual Storage Integrator 6.2 (supports the vSphere web client), which is out now, remains awesome and remains FREE.
Download it here: https://support.emc.com/products/34010_VSI-for-VMware-vSphere-Web-Client
What’s in VSI 6.2?
- Support for ViPR 2.0 software-defined storage - with VSI v6.2, virtual admin can perform storage management tasks on the latest ViPR 2.0 software-defined storage
- Support for XtremIO 2.4 storage (we had some support before, but only for the C# client) - VSI v6.2 introduces support for XtremIO 2.4 with which virtual admin can provision VMFS datastores and RDM volumes, view properties, create full clones using XtremIO native snapshots and also integrate with VMware Horizon and Citrix XenDesktop. VERY powerful, and I think that layering on tools like VSI (along with support with ViPR SRM and the ViPR controller for pooling/automation/abstraction) are things which even further differentiate XtremIO from other AFAs on the market.
- Filtering of thin pools according to FAST VP policy when a new VMAX datastore or RDM volume is created
Itzik does a blog post on VSI 6.2 and XtremIO (with some great demos!) here.